11/6/09

About BlogTV and Japan

Recently someone had mentioned to me that since I already have an account, I should do BlogTV. What I had told him was that "Actually, I'm not really into doing BlogTV or any of those internet live video chat with bunch of people. I only created an account there to support my friends who decided to have their own shows.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against people who does BlogTV. It's just not my thing. I think it's mainly because since I am a part of this YouTube J-vlogging community, we all get the same questions from people who watches our videos. Many of the questions we get about Japan are either normal, or really good questions. However we do get huge amount of stupid questions too.

Back when I trained in Kung-Fu, my Sifu (master in Cantonese) used to say, "There are no such thing as stupid questions. Only stupid ones are the ones who don't ask". I used to agree with this 100% but not so much anymore. Many of the answers to the questions we get can easily be found on the internet. Or if you look at some of the older videos the other J-vloggers have made in the past, the answers are there.

Perhaps I'll take this time to explain few things to those who are interested in living in Japan.

1. If you want to work in Japan legally, you've gotta have a work visa. If you want to get a normal job, you've gotta have a bachelor's degree at least. If you are in one of those situations where you can't afford to go to college, only types of jobs (legal jobs) that are available for non-Japanese are perhaps working at one of those cafe, restaurants, bars that are filled with foreigners. Most of other places like convenient stores, fast food joints really do require that you speak fluent Japanese, and I mean that in Japanese standards. So I can't stress this enough. College education is very important in Japan. There are many people who lives in the states who are able to get by without college education, but that's the states. Japan is a country where the certifications means everything. By that, I mean it as paperwork that shows you can speak Japanese, that you have been trained and qualified to do whatever the work it is, and everything. Best example would be, you could be the best mechanic in the world, but without a paperwork that shows you have spent time to study it, no one is gonna want to hire you. Legally that is.

2. Stop thinking that there is a way to work around the system in Japan. 100% of the times, when people do things to work around the system, you end up doing something illegally. Doesn't matter how serious or how little the thing is. If you want to stay away from any troubles, then don't do it. If you decide to take a chance on it, don't get the others involved with whatever the crap you are trying to pull. The best advice I can give to those who are trying to work around the system, Don't come here. There are so many foreigners who have done things to bring down the image, the rest of us who are trying to live normal, honest lives are being affected anytime the immigration adds or changes any laws, and usually the changes makes our lives harder.

3. Take the time to improve your Japanese. I used to teach Japanese to foreigners professionally, and I will be blunt about this. There is no way to master any language within 1 week, or 1 month. The time you spend on looking for the fastest ways to master the language, you could've spent it on actually studying. I have had quite a few mails sent to me where others have asked me to be their Japanese tutor and teach them online. Whenever I get those, I either ignore the message and forget about it, or refuse it flat out, because your Japanese is not going to improve without any interactions with people. And I am not about to give out my skype info to people that I do not interact with on regular basis. When it comes to being good at anything you do in your life, you need to take the time and be dedicated. If you are too impatient to do it, maybe that thing is just not your thing.

Funny thing about J-Vlog community. I didn't even know I was a part of it nor it even existed until someone had mentioned it to me 3 months ago.

1 comment:

thatjapanesegirl said...

なるほどね〜。やっぱりうちにくる質問とはちょっと違うのね。2番に書いてあること、すごい共感できる!何人かの人が悪いことするだけで、ちゃんと生活してる人たちに影響でるもんな。